Steve Heron OAM – Children’s Author
Books to touch and tickle your heart
Steve writes books for children with a unique blend of heart, hope, humour and help.
- Heart – heartfelt stories with elements of reality and meaning.
- Hope – stories that nurture hope and a glimpse of a better tomorrow.
- Humour – stories and poems that tickle toes and turn the giggle taps on.
- Help – stories to touch on issues children face, providing a sense of empathy.
Steve’s first dabble in writing for children resulted in a series of six picture books in the “Feel Safe Feel Right” series published by Nurture Works.
Steve has extensive experience working with children in schools and is no stranger to doing presentations with kids.
A champion of wellbeing for children, he has been called an affirmative vandal and a hooligan of hope.
Steve conducts workshops and author presentations based on his books, his humour and his experience in socio-emotional wellbeing with children.
Pre-primary to Year 7. Also conducts PL for school staff and parent workshops.
Let Your Kindness Shine (Yrs 1-4) (1 hr)
- Join Ling Li on her quest to show her wisdom.
- An enlightening workshop based on Ling Li’s Lantern – helping fill the world with compassion.
Grow Your Writing Wings (Years 4-6) (1 to 1.5 hr)
- An emotional literary escapade based on the book ‘MAXIMUS’.
- Exploring emotions through descriptive writing. (Show don’t tell)
Nursery Wrongs, Slimes and Crimes – The Art of Writing Funny Stuff (Yrs 4-7) (1hr)
- Understanding and using literary devices for writing humour.
Don’t Press My Buttons (PP to Yr 3) (1 hr)
- An investigation of feelings based on the (yet to be published) book ‘Don’t Press My Buttons’.
PHILOMENA EDWINA PHINTWHISTLE’S Astounding Athenaeum of Weird, Wacky, Wonderful and Whimsical Words. (Yrs 5 to 9) (3 hours)
- This extended workshop includes: Literary devices, Alliteration, Rhymes, Wordology, Poetry, Haiku, Cinquain, Puns, Jokes, Tongue Twisters, Nonsense Words and more, in a creative and fun exposition of buffoonery.
Stuff Sucks – Conquering the Unvanquished Truths (Yr 4-6) (1-1.5hr)
- A short exploration of ‘Freak the Mighty’ – by Rodman Philbrick + Readings and references from ‘MAXIMUS’.
- Expressing the tough stuff through writing – Journaling, poetry and conquering the unvanquished truths.
ANZAC RESPECT – (Yrs 4-6) (1 hr) (Term 1 & early term 2 only)
- An interactive presentation based on the Anzac references in Maximus.
- I have permission from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to use the word Anzac.